January 29, 2009

The value of enterprise architecture

One of the recurring topics among architects seems to be: what is the value of enterprise architecture (EA)? Why do we do what we do, and how do we add value to the firm? Several books have been released on this subject as well as some interesting scientific papers.  I have just read this interesting blogpost on the same topic. 

One of the things that I like about the post is the fact that architecture is considered to be "not just about IT" as the author takes a holistic perspective of the enterprise. It seems to me that Europe most practitioners also claim to have this holistic view, even though in practice most focus solely on technology (see also the post by Klasien de Wilde). Another interesting point about this blogpost is the observation that the value of EA depends on what you actually do with EA in a given organization. I concur that different organizations seem to have different goals for their architectural efforts. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the focus in the post is too much on architecture documentation. Still a good read, in my opinion.

No comments: